This is the instructor’s resource page for ENCE 3610L, Soil Mechanics Laboratory, at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Use subject to the terms and conditions of this site.
- Materials Testing, U.S. Army FM5-472
- Report Writing Requirements
- Boring Video (when you see it, you’ll know why)
- YouTube Channel for Soil Mechanics
- Spears Lab Spreadsheet, it is very useful for calculations for many of the labs, but you have to know what you’re doing to use it
- Permeability Spreadsheet
- CBR “R”-value Spreadsheet
- DD-2463 (CBR Form)
|Experiment||Procedure in Materials Testing, Chapter 2||Lecture Slides and Lab Forms|
|RQD||Not in Materials Testing; can be found here.||Engineering Geology and Rock Mechanics|
|Specific Gravity||IV||DD-1208, Specifc Gravity|
|Gradation (Sieve and Hydrometer Analysis)||V||Soil Classification
|Atterberg (Liquid and Plastic) Limits||VI||DD-1209|
|Proctor Compaction||VII||Soil Compaction
|Sand Cone Test||VIII||Field Exploration and Testing (see also Boring Video)|
|Unconfined Compression Test||Not in Materials Testing; can be found in EM 1110-2-1906, Appendix XI|
|DCP||Not in Materials Testing; can be found in FM 5-430-00-2 /AFJPAM 32-8013, Vol II, Annex J||Description and Application of Dual Mass Cone Penetrometer|
- Mathematical Resources (because everybody needs help in math)
- Blessed are the Merciful: I keep getting requests to “go light” on the grading. This is how I did it myself.
- My Thoughts on Sleeping in Class
- Who’s This Idiot? That’s Me! It’s easy to get trapped in the system.
- When the Pathfinder Gets Lost: some students like to “follow the lead” of someone else to get the course work done. That can have negative results other than those described in the syllabus, just like this example
- Taking the Last Voyage with Newton and Pascal: many of you will recognise the name of Saint-Venant from mechanics of materials, but here’s another side of his life and work. With comment from former department head.
- What’s Really Important When You Hit the Field
- The Two Promises I Made to Myself
- Lessons from the Cotter Bridge
- Mirroring Our Creator