This is the instructor’s resource site for ENCE 3610, Soil Mechanics, at the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga. Use subject to the terms and conditions of this site.
Syllabus for Course Spring 2023
Textbooks and other course references for Free Download
- Soils and Foundations Reference Manual (SFH in the sections below)
- Soil Mechanics by Arnold Verruijt (online book is a little different from book in print)
- Soil Mechanics by N.A. Tsytovich
- YouTube Channel for Soil Mechanics
- My Profile on Meet the Prof
Lecture Course Material:
|Topic||Textbook Portions||Links to Videos, Slides and Other Materials|
|Introduction; Engineering Geology||Verruijt Chapter 1 (print and online); SFH 3.1, 4.1, 4.6||Introduction and Rock Mechanics|
|Soil Classification||Verruijt Chapter 2 (print and online); SFH 4.2-4.5, 5.1||Size Gradation and Soil Classification|
|Site Exploration and Classification||Verruijt Chapter 3 (print), 47 (online); SFH Chapter 3, 4.7||Site Exploration and Characterisation, Field Exploration Methods (including Boring Video)|
|Soil Composition||Verruijt Chapter 3 (print and online); SFH 2.1, 5.3||Soil Composition|
|Effective Stress||Verruijt Chapters 5 and 6 (print,) 4 and 5 (online); SFH 2.2, 2.3, 5.3||Effective (Intergranular) Stresses and Capillary Rise|
|Groundwater I||Verruijt Chapters 7-12 (print,) 6-11 (online)||Groundwater and Permeability I|
|Groundwater II||Verruijt Chapters 7-12 (print,) 6-11 (online); SFH 5.6||Groundwater and Permeability II|
|Compaction and Soil Improvement||SFH 5.8||Compaction and Soil Improvement|
|Introduction to Soil Stress States||Verruijt Chapter 21 (print,) 20 (online); SFH 2.8, Appendix B||Introduction to Soil Stress States|
|Elastic Solutions to Soil Deflections and Stresses||Verruijt Chapters 28-31 (print,) 27-30 (online); SFH 2.4, 2.5, 5.9, 8.7||Elastic Solutions to Soil Deflections and Stresses|
|Settlement and Consolidation of Soils||Verruijt Chapters 15-20; SFH 5.4, 8.5.3||Settlement and Consolidation of Soils|
|Shear Strength Theory||Verruijt Chapters 22 and 24-27; SFH 5.5||Shear Strength Theory|
|Stability of Earth Slopes||Verruijt Chapters 45-47; SFH 6.0||Slope Stability|
|Lateral Earth Pressures||Verruijt Chapters 45-47; SFH 10.2 – 10.4||Lateral Earth Pressure|
|FE Exam Review||Not an integral part of this course, but most of the prep for the FE exam takes place in it||My Review for the FE Exam Civil/Geotechnical Section|
- Mathematical Resources (because everybody needs help in math)
- Blessed are the Merciful: I keep getting requests to “go light” on the grading. This is how I did it myself.
- My Thoughts on Sleeping in Class
- In Search of the Lost Movado. Bar hopping has consequences.
- Who’s This Idiot? That’s Me! It’s easy to get trapped in the system.
- When the Pathfinder Gets Lost: some students like to “follow the lead” of someone else to get the course work done. That can have negative results other than those described in the syllabus, just like this example
- Taking the Last Voyage with Newton and Pascal: many of you will recognise the name of Saint-Venant from mechanics of materials, but here’s another side of his life and work. With comment from former department head.
- What’s Really Important When You Hit the Field
- The Two Promises I Made to Myself
- Lessons from the Cotter Bridge
- Mirroring Our Creator